I finally finished! I had plans and schemes to do more than just 2 Colette Laurel dresses but with all I took on in the last month, I’m very happy with the 2 I finished!
These are both underlined in the bodice with the main fabric, which is a very light weight gingham. It’s a poly-cotton blend and before you say “Ew!”, it’s not like that. It’s super light, on the pretty sheer side, and very breathable. In fact, the only obvious ‘polyester’ thing going on is that it unravels wicked fast. I was inspired by a yard of some early 80s Concord calico I was gifted.
Yeah. I went full Country Bumpkin. I grew up in a town called Boring. I can do that.
Can you believe how tall she is? I’m about 5’9″ and she’s only 8 years old….this is the size 2 of the pattern.
I used the #1 pattern and added the pockets as well. I used the vintage calico for the 1/4″ double-folded bias tape – smaller to keep it a bit more subtle.
I could have moved the invisible zipper up a smidge, but overall the installs on the Laurel is really smooth.
Ok, so I did get the zipper flipped on one of the installs and had to redo a side. It’s true. It’s easy to do. I was distracted by baby cuteness.
I’m a bit rusty at embroidery. I contemplated some chicken-scratch cross stitch or something more elaborate, but stuck with simple double herringbone on the pockets with a super light weight stabilizer.
We went to Burgerville today for some fast food picnic action and Hazel tested out the dress at the park. You can say all you want about a dress, but one that still looks good in this much movement and play…you know it’s a good dress. I’ve said it before about the Sorbetto, but Colette makes fabulous patterns. I used Swedish tracing paper to trace the 2 sizes without actually cutting the pattern, but I really think if you can get the print book, it’s the way to go.
Action Colette Laurel Dress Montage: