Ottobre Bermuda Shorts

Matchy
Matchy

I’m loving getting the Ottobre subscription. The last pattern I did for the babies was a knit and a bit more on the intermediate side. These Bermuda style shorts are on the super-duper easy side.

They’re from the 3/2011 issue (you get a free back issue if you order a subscription) and they’re soooo customizable.

Destructions
Destructions

The kids and I sat down with the photo from the magazine and decided how they wanted them to function. Long, short, pockets, etc.

Design Team Notes
Design Team Notes

They only wanted front pockets, and this round we’re doing walking short length for Alex and almost clam-digger length for Hazel.

Hazel’s are a gifted fabric that feels like it’s probably linen or a linen blend.

Hazel Bermudas
Hazel Bermudas

They’re very light weight and breezy. She had her pick of the fabrics and made a good choice!

I took some pink grosgrain ribbon to trim the bottoms and the pockets.

grosgrain detail
grosgrain detail

The pockets are lined and sewn on top of the shorts making that much easier!

They have a cute mock-fly on the front.

Mock Fly
Mock Fly

It would be super easy to fold that part of the pattern under if you wanted to skip the fly.

Here’s a side shot after she wore them all day…

Hazel Left
Hazel Left

And there’s plenty of room for the buns…

Hazel Back
Hazel Back

The obligatory little sister matching outfit is just a onesie with a zig-zag stitched Z for Zoe and an elastic waistband skirt with pink Kona binding.

Super Z
Super Z

Alex’s shorts were made with some leftover Robert Kaufman linen-cotton denim from my Miette skirt.

Alex Bermudas
Alex Bermudas

I used the same variegated blue thread for stitching as well…

Alex Hem
Alex Hem

I lined the pockets with a cute black and cream gingham.

Alex Pocket
Alex Pocket

However, after just a few hours of wear, the seams started splitting.

Alex Pocket 2
Alex Pocket 2

Really splitting…

Butt-Oh
Butt-Oh

Really, really splitting…

Damn Son
Damn Son

Lesson learned…while the RK linen/cotton is a great fabric, I should have made another Colette Sorbetto with the leftovers or maybe something with more give like:

Better Pattern for RK
Better Pattern for RK

Regardless, I’m really glad I found this out before I used it in a quilted bag or something. The linen-cotton does not hold up to any stress on it whatsoever. Even if I were to restitch the seams, or re-enforce the seams, the stress on the fabric is the problem. I suppose I could line them, but at this point, when they’re made just to fit…I’m going to have to call them a loss. It may not be the blend so much as how it’s done. The Aztec vest was made in a RK linen and is holding up great, and I have some yarn dyed Essex that many quilters use and is thicker feeling than the cotton-linen.

Point is, if you’re looking to use one of the linens, I suggest sticking to the Essex or the straight up linen if you need to sew something with stress points aka structure. My Miette skirt went through the wash this week and held up great, therefore, in a garment with more drape, the linen-cotton is a wonderful option.

AND hello, Ottobre FTW again!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *