I got to spend a nice weekend with my family being mellow and getting a lot of sewing done. I put in a knit order to girlcharlee.com for Alex and bought 3 yards of Briar Rose in Orange Strawberry at Modern Domestic on Friday, so wanted to really get through the girly sewing before Alex’s knits showed up. In addition, there was a little top secret pattern testing thrown in; all-in-all, I was very productive!
I used the same Recess Raglan pattern size and type that I previously used for Hazel again in the Briar Rose.
She has been off at a birthday party so I will have to wait to see if it fits her. I’m a bit concerned…
See, a little note about the Briar Rose jersey knit. It’s great, don’t get me wrong. After prewashing it, I still got a ton of usage out of it (read: good quality, minimal shrinkage.) But it does curl like a pig’s tail. I read this Fresh Lemon’s post about it before I bought it…and my, I feel for her. I have a serger, double needles, etc. and no fear of knits….but if you’re not used to knits, maybe try a cheapie Joann’s knit first. At about $10 a yard, it’s not going to break the bank, but let’s not be frivolous.
Anywho, like I said, at $10 a yard, let’s use it all up. So, I made a few more Recess Raglans in 3T, figuring I’d give Zoe room to grow. I played around with different cuffs and finishing for giggles.
I may have pushed the limits of knit layer-thickness with Ms. Viking and the double needle…I was playing around with the bubblegum fabric and this happened….
Hahaha. Whoopsie. At least it didn’t really break off – I hate fishing around for metal fragments.
I think I picked a good size for Zoe. She’s in the tall and skinny category according to the doc office at 18 months and generally wears a 2T, so these should last a bit.
At this point we had already taken photos of 2 other test pattern outfits, so she was done modeling for me and more into growling and making Frankenstein faces…
I am also super excited to say I squeezed out an altered, cap-sleeve Renfrew for me! Woohoo! And a little sumpin’ for our American Girl knock-off. The Renfrew is only altered in that I couldn’t quite get sleeve bands or a waist band out of it too, but I’m ok with that….I had a back-up double needle that finished those hems. I Mickey-Moused out enough fabric to band the neckline but it is in 2 pieces.
Fabric was $32.50 total for 3 yards (I used my PMQG 10% off), plus a busted twin-needle at around $5, and I got 3 shirts + a dollie dress = I can live with that math. Plus I finished out the rest of my Joann’s knit stash just in time to get my new delivery!
Back to quilting next week and finishing up that Roller Rink.