I defy you to find a set of PJs like this in the wild. This is a custom Spiderman Princess pajama set for my toddler, Zoe. Yes. This set made my youngest twirl about and walk around with pride.
The toddler is the youngest of 4….she has 2 brothers and a sister. There was already a cache of Spiderman in this house, and while her older sister has never been princess-y, Zoe was born with a tiara. A tiara in one hand, and an action figure in the other hand.
Exhibit A: today’s bath toys.
Exhibit B: the Spiderman coloring book has been in the “Elsa Purse” since she got it home….about a month ago.
This is where we thank Camelot Fabrics profusely. Without Camelot making licensed fabrics in everything from Star Wars to Cars, I’d be stuck trying to sew ruffles on some Target boys’ Spiderman PJs. You know, Target hacks are fine and all, but we needed to go full princess nerd.
Enter, the pattern.
My mom made me dozens of nightgowns in this pattern….and dresses….with pinafores. For real. So what did I do? I bought multiple copies, in multiple sizes. That’s right. It’s hereditary.
I went to Joann’s to pick up bias tape ruffle trim….and EW! That stuff is cheap, scratchy cotton poly something nasty! They had some other poly silk chiffon ruffle that wasn’t washable….right. NO. So, I went to the remnant bin (shocking, right?) and found 3/4 yard cheap, red, WASHABLE poly satin and just made my own dang ruffles.
I only put on two buttons since this is only size 3 – I thought 3 buttons was a bit fussy. I mean, she’s part action hero here too….
This was my second pair of PJs, so I knew to shorten the sleeves 2 inches. Ms. Princess Spidey Zoe is tall, skinny and apparently doesn’t have an ape’s reach.
The pants, however, I left regular length. Trim only on the top of the top….we don’t want to get carried away here….I mean, that would just be TACKY.
I used the trusty serger to finish seams and/or just plain assemble where I could. I am a working mom of a small army, after all, and need to have some sanity sleep.
Princess Spidey is Version 2. Version 1 is from a bolt of girly hot cocoa goodness I picked up on clearance last year. I cheated and skipped the collar, top-stitched some trim I had around to cuffs and yolk, and just put on one vintage button I had laying around. These have the original sleeve (ape) length, and we have to roll them up when she wears them. Still, they’ve been well loved already. I couldn’t get the model to pose for me, but they are really quite voluminous and have that wide, baby doll circumference to the top. Just ADORABLE.
This is not sponsored; no one has given me fabric or money or whatever – this is just true Camelot Fabrics fandom!